Re: Z-Wave Pool Thermostat with Water Temperature Sensor

"Richard Kaplan" wrote:

> I am researching options to control a pool heating system as part
> of a home automation system.
>
> The Homeseer website lists a Z-wave thermostat (TZ40) from a
> company called RCS, which also makes an optional remote pool/spa
> temperature sensor (RSP2).
>
> My thought is that I would install the TZ40 and RSP2 very close to
> my pool pump/plumbing.  Then I would set up a computer with home
> automation software and a z-wave receiver elsewhere in the house
> (probably Homeseer with the Maestro Heat & Air Plug-in.
>
> I got a technical service reply from RCS, however, saying that the
> RSP2 is discontinued and RCS no longer offers any type of pool/spa
> control.  Also RCS suggests that "this may not be too practical a
> use for z-wave topology since it's a mesh network type of RF
> transmission and requires retransmitters out to the pool pad area."

RCS is correct.  If you do not plan to use other Z-Wave components
such as light switches or dimmers and the pool sensor is to be
mounted far from your master controls, Z-Wave is probably not the
best choice.  The advantage of a mesh network like Z-Wave is that
each dimmer or other module acts as a repeater.  This allows low
power RF devices to effectively cover a very large area.  As RCS has
rightly pointed out, mesh networks don't offer any benefit if all you
need is one or two points of control.

> Are there other manufacturers who make a z-wave thermostat with a
> pool water sensor?  Is it true that z-wave is not a practical use
> for this application?  If so, what other design would be better?

I'm not sure.  I'll check with some of our manufacturers and get back
to you.  If you plan to use Z-Wave for lights and other things in the
home or at least in the pool area, that may still be worth
investigating.  If not, you should consider other protocols.  The
simplest approach might be to just run a wire.  Is this still
possible or has the building been closed up already?

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics