Re: Cause of some major X10 problems found

 Robert Green wrote:
> "BruceR" <razrbruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:46f71999$0
>
> <stuff snipped>
>
>> The new charger arrived and the troublesome one is on it's way to
>> Jeff. BTW, the charger did not cause any problems with Insteon
>> transmissions.
>
> That's great!  Thanks for your donation to "science."  (-:
>
> One point of clarification, though, if I might ask.  Did the charger
> affect the Insteon switches operating in the X-10 mode?

I didn't do any specific testing but my wife said that she had been
using that charger here in the house with Insteon/X10 for several months
and during that time I had no problems with any of the devices. She had
it plugged into a circuit that also has both Insteon and X10 mode
operations in close proximity and they never missed a beat. I do have an
XTB-II here serving as a replacement for the Stargate's TW-523. Almost
all commands are generated by the Stargate but an Insteon wall
controller in the same room worked flawlessly.
  In the other house, I have only older X10 devices and use an XTB (not
II) on the Time Commander's TW-523 and have a Smarthome Plug-In Dryer
Repeater.  The charger only affected one or two WS12 X10 switches on the
same circuit and in close proximity to the charger with the problems
stated earlier, specifically, no control from controllers and false
ON's.  This old installation will be retired next spring when we move to
a new home in Houston that will have either newer generation X10 or
maybe even Insteon.
 For the new home in Houston, I'm tempted to just reinstall all the
newer (circa 2000) Leviton & Switchlinc X10 devices that the Insteon
gear replaced in the Honolulu home.  The biggest advantage to doing that
is that it's already paid for and will work with my Time Commander+ or
another Stargate I bought on ebay.  With an XTB-II in the picture I
think I can count on excellent reliability.  If the X10 stuff doesn't
cut it I can always upgrade to the Insteon line but I doubt very much
that I'll need to do that.