Re: HDHomeRun firmware downgrades

"Dan Lanciani" <ddl@danlan.*com> wrote in message
news:1341975@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Sometime after the version of firmware that I'm currently running
> (20070131) SiliconDust has apparently added a lock to the HDHomeRun
> to prevent the loading of firmware older than the current version.
> Can anyone who has been following the versions tell me the latest
> version I can load without being locked in?  SiliconDust won't say.
> This lock makes it impossible to back out an upgrade if there are
> application compatibility problems.

Why would they do something that idiotic?  Are the DRM police after them?  I
read a piece in today's NYT that said:

"Jesper Johansson--a former senior program manager for security policy at
Microsoft who moved to Amazon in September last year--wrote in his blog on
Monday that he may drop Windows Media Center for LinuxMCE, a free
open-source add-on to the Kubuntu desktop operating system, because problems
caused by Microsoft's digital-rights management (DRM) software have proven
so difficult to fix."

http://www.nytimes.com/cnet/CNET_2100-1016_3-6210131.html

I'm detecting a slow and steady burn from customers about all the DRM crap
that they paid for (not Hollywood) and that inhibits their use of digitial
media under the supposition that if you want to do anything but what they
tell you, you're a crook.

Maybe if you ask some tech writers like the guys at CNET why HDHomeRun is
"locking" their firmware the HDHR folks will "back out" of their recent
policy change.   It's worth a shot.

--
Bobby G.