Re: RFID Flap Silences Security Researchers

> "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >I'd certainly be interested in reading further, Dave, but what I am
finding
> >still seems to point to Egghead.  Yes, I know Kroll and the FBI
investigated
> >but the FBI couldn't even find superspy Robert Hanssen in their own
midst,
> >nor did they find the 9/11 hijackers until it was too late.  Having them
> >sign off on Egghead's innocence doesn't do much to convince me,
especially
> >considering the "weasel wording" Egghead used in its notification.
>
> But they've had far more experience at tapping phone and data networks
than
> at catching and outing spies (our own excluded).

Touche.  (-:

> There was a credit card processing company (in LA, IIRC) that was hacked a
> week or two before the Egghead incident.

I'm not buying into the whole sub-contractor mindset that's a craze in the
business world.  If I gave my card to Egghead and they hired Psycho
Schlomo's Cheapest Credit Card Transactors to consummate the deal, I'm still
blaming Egghead.  They had the most to lose if things went wrong from
outsourcing credit processing.  I'll look into the final outcome when I get
a chance.  I do recall that there was a big breach at a middleman outfit.

The subs that Comcrass sends have names like "Nonstop Cable" and "Cable A Go
Go" - no kidding - that's what shows up on the caller ID or the embossed
plastic sign taped the side of the beat up old station wagon.  Eventually,
the subs will arrive dressed in their prison uniforms on work-release.
There's been a steady downturn in quality of all the repair techs.  The Bell
repairman used to be a guy in his 30's or 40's with years of experience, who
cleaned up after himself and who didn't lay cable across lawns for some
other guy to bury.

--
Bobby G.