Re: Need help for Engineering Management project

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uqCdnVQsmt4QbJHbnZ2dnUVZ_oupnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxx
> "Robert L Bass" <no-sales-spam@bassburglaralarms> wrote in message
>
>> > Yet both the cops and the ADT guys come
>> > like a shot when my ADT alarm goes off...
>>
>> Uh-huh, sure.
>
> And you think calling someone a liar is
> a *good* business practice?

I apologize.

> I have far less reason to defend ADT...

Perhaps.  However, I've seen the work
that many of the so-called authorized
dealers do.  Most of the time the
installations were poorly done using
the cheapest hardware available.  It
is commonplace for them to take
"shortcuts" with security just to get the
job done as fast as possible.

> than you have to attack them since you
> competed against them...

They're actually very helpful to my business.
I get calls from lots of ex-ADT customers
looking to buy a system and DIY rather
than keep paying triple rate for shoddy
service and slow response.  They are
notorious for taking as much as an hour
to call the police and sometimes never
calling at all.

> I think people can make that credibility
> judgement for themselves.

Indeed.

> As for all the times you've complained
> about Dave's analysis of Z-wave as
> being without experience, you seem to
> be doing the same damn thing...

Not so.  During the 24 years I ran a
small alarm company I personally *replaced*
scads of ADT systems.  My online business
has sold systems to hundreds of ex-ADT
customers.  You have had _one_ good
experience so that makes you a very
fortunate person.

> I have an ADT system.  You don't.

I wouldn't consider hiring an ADT authorized
dealer if the system was free and the
monitoring was $1 a month.

> How on earth do you expect anyone
> to believe *you* know how they have
> responded to *my* alarms?

I don't.  I do know how they've responded
to countless others and the record is
pretty dismal.

> It's clear you don't like them.

Let us be very clear.  I have nothing against
ADT _corporate_ security.  I've often
spoken well of them.  I resent the awful
things that the ADT authorized dealers have
done to my industry.

> It's clear that you once competed with
> them...

They really had no impact on me.  When
I bid against them I almost invariably won
because I offered (and still do) comprehensive
protection.  They don't.  Their reps would tell
the customer that two door sensors and a
motion detector were all they needed for
a 3,500 sf home.  Their presentations
typically lasted 25-35 minutes.  I would go
through the entire home explaining how we
would wire every accessible opening, back
that up with glass break and motion
detection.

ADT offered smoke detection only if the
client asked for it.  I would write it into every
bid as a selectable option.  When ADT did
include smokes, they almost never did
more than one on the main floor and one
outside the bedrooms.  I offered smokes in
each bedroom, outside the bedrooms, at
the top of each stairs and on every level
plus heat detectors in the garage, attic
and furnace rooms.

My average sales call took a couple of
hours but I closed a higher percentage than
any rep I know.  Online I do something
analagous.  I spend time finding out what
needs protection and sugggest a
comprehensive plan.  I'm still beating
the 2-doors-and-1-motion-detector guys
hands down.

> And now it's clear you're dumping crap
> on them...

Actually, they have dumped crap on my
industry.  The push for "free" systems which
really end up costing the consumer several
times as much as a real security system
has made the alarm industry a laughingstock
among police and fire departments.  The
proliferation of cheap, poorly installed
systems has created a nightmare of repeated
false alarms which cost end users and police
financially and waste police time, exposing
people with real emergencies to greater
risk.

> Non-experiential crap that you so
> roundly criticize others for posting
> when it suits you.

You have no idea how much experience I have
but I can assure you I know a lot more about
my industry than you've learned with one
security system.

> Oy.  What color is that kettle, mister pot?

Oy vey iz mir!  Its black.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass