Re: Need help for Engineering Management project

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:wP2dnffviMe7BZbbnZ2dnUVZ_tvinZ2d@xxxxxxxxxx
> "Robert L Bass" <no-sales-spam@bassburglaralarms> wrote in message
>>
>> "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> > "Robert L Bass" <no-sales-spam@bassburglaralarms> wrote in message

>> > http://www.sdmmag.com/SDM/Protected/Files/Images/sdm100_2004_08.jpg
>> >
>> > The admittedly out of date lists the top
>> > residential security providers and
>> > their # of users:
>>
>> SDM is a trade magazine with no subscription fee.
>> Care to guess who pays for it?  That said, I read
>> SDM as soon as it comes to my door each month.
>> There are always articles on new products which
>> I often add to my websites.
>
> Ok, let's see your numbers on the breakdown.

I'm not dispouting the numbers -- only commenting
that they have not been verified.

>> > ADT            4M
>> > Brink's         800K
>> > Monitronics 377K
>> > Slomin's      187K
>>
>> The lists only indicate the number of clients
>> they monitor. and the revenue they have.  It
>> says nothing about quality (or lack thereof).
>> Furthermore, no one verifies the data.  SDM
>> accepts whatever the companies say.
>
> OK, let's see your numbers on breakdown. (-:

Is there an echo in here?

>> Then there are the so-called ADT "authorized
>> dealers."  These are independent contractors
>> who use ADT's name while installing mostly
>> crap.
>
> I thought it was all UL certified ADT-branded
> panelsr...

Absolutely not.

>> They advertise "free" systems but to
>> obtain the free system the homeowner must
>> sign a multi-year monitoring agreement at
>> two, three or more times the going rate.  The
>> contracts renew automatically unless cancelled
>> 30 to 90 days (depends on the dealer) before
>> expiration.  Getting out of it is only slightly
>> more difficult than breaching a vontract with
>> Lucifer.
>
> Seems to me you're now supporting what
> I said a few messages back:
>
>> "In wide use" doesn't mean "excellent"
>> of even "good" by default.
>
> although you took great exception with it as
> applied to PDFs.  Flip!

Wrong.  I said that your statement to that
effect does not prove the widely used item
is *not* good.  Here again, I'm not saying that
ADT's success is an indication they're bad.
I outlined several reasons why their dealer
program is rife with problems.

>> Many of these companies have been sued
>> by attorneys general in various states,
>> including Florida where I live, for false and
>> misleading advertising.  The ads are illegal
>> here yet numerous "authorized dealers" still
>> use them.
>
> So?  MS engaged in bundling contracts
> that propelled them to the top of the heap.
> That's just business...

In the case of these ADT authorized dealers,
it was more than "just business."  Courts in
numerous states found it was crooked business.

> Try canceling some cell phone contracts
> without penalty or difficulty.  Or unsubscribing
> from AOL...

A bit behind the news, are we?

> You'd think if ADT were so evil and incompetent,
> police departments would refuse to deal with
> their emergency calls...

With increasing frequency that is precisely
what has been happening.  Police departments
all over the country are starting to demand
"verification" that a burglary is actually
happening before they send an officer.  Many
departments refuse to respond at all after
the ridiculous number of false alarms they
get from these poorly installed systems
being used by poorly trained owners.

> Yet both the cops and the ADT guys come
> like a shot when my ADT alarm goes off...

Uh-huh, sure.

>> To make matters worse, almost invariably
>> the systems sold by these dealers are
>> so poorly designed and installed that they
>> offer little or no protection.
>
> And yet they have more customers than all
> the others combined, it seems.

McDonalds sells more meals than all the
good restaurants in the country combined.
Do you think their food is as good as the
rest?

Radio Shack sells more electronics than
any chain store in the country.  Would you
order an alarm from them?

> Why do you think people put up with
> such horrible service?

Once they've signed up they're stuck.
I get calls every other day from angry
ex-clients of these authorized dealers.

> Why do insurance companies still give
> ADT customers breaks on rates if they
> are such failures?

Insurance companies which offer
discounts for alarms don't discriminate
based on who did the job.  In fact, most
companies that offer a discount will even
extend it to DIYers who install their own
security systems.  Most of my customers
apply for and receive discounts.

> Are you sure your previous and perhaps
> current competitive position with them
> hasn't colored your opinion?

Yes.  In fact, I have often stated that I
believe ADT *corporate* is a good player.

>>> I didn't do the math but it seems like...
>>
>> Sadly, ADT did the math a few decades
>> ago and realized that there is far more
>> profit to be had by installing tiny, nearly
>> useless systems in a couple of hours
>> than by designing and properly installing
>> comprehensive security.  The result is
>> an industry driven entirely by price
>> with reckless disregard for the security
>> of the clients who depend on it.
>
> If ADT were truly engaged in a nationwide
> campaign involving "reckless disregard"
> (a very serious legal charge, BTW,
> because it opens the door for punitive
> damages) there would be evidence of suits
> galore...

Perhaps you need to read more than one issue
of SDM.  Send me your snail mail address and
I'll sign you up for free subscriptions to SDM,
Security Sales and several other trade rags
from the industry.  Meanwhile, here are a few
interesting links:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/adt.htm

Here's one without a URL: "Spengler v. ADT... the
plaintiff had entered into a contract for a system
protecting his disabled mother. She activated the
system in distress and ADT dispatched to the wrong
address. The woman died."  ADT's lawyer, when
interviewed on the subject by one of the industry
magazines responded, "I love this case."

Next case: This one is from Security Sales &
]Integration magazine...
 "Lawsuit Claims ADT Stole Customers