Re: Insteon/X10

"Paul" <PAUL_R_JACOBS@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I'm at work so I'll post more info later, but...
>
>The biggest problem that I have is with things turning off randomly.
>At this point it happens at various places throughout the house.
>
>If I'm understanding all that I read, and I'm no electrical engineer,
>it seems that the XTB or any signal booster (multiple Insteon device)
>would help with this issue.  DO I have that right?
>
>I also have a problem with one light not controlling reliably but
>that's minor compare to the above.

Random on and off can be caused by noise spikes operating directly on the
X-10 modules and switches. They can also be caused by collisions between
legitimate PLC commands.

What types of switches & modules do you have? Are they made by X-10 are by
other manufacturers? Are there motors turning on or off (e.g. AC, furnace
blower) at the time of the random events?

A list of _all_ X-10 devices in use would help.

I usually recommend the ELK ESM1 X-10 meter for troubleshooting although
it's not much help for random events. Do you have a computer interface like
the CM11A or other X-10 interface? They can log events and can sometimes
help with things like this.

We need to identify the cause of the random events before deciding whether
the XTB or Insteon make sense for you.

http://davehouston.net