Re: Insteon/X10

On Mar 23, 4:08 am, nob...@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dave Houston) wrote:
> "Paul" <PAUL_R_JAC...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >I had installed X10.  It was very flaky in my house. I bought a plug
> >in phase coupler which didn't help much. I have lights going off
> >randomly, some lights unable to controlled etc.
>
> >Is Insteon going to be much better?  I was hoping that the RF was used
> >to send signals,but as I understand it, the RF is used for phase
> >coupling.  That being the case, since I already have a coupler, can I
> >expect much better with Insteon.
>
> It's hard to say without knowing why your X-10 installation is flaky. In
> general, Insteon does a better job because all of the Insteon modules and
> switches repeat the signal and the "network" tends to be evenly covered and
> less prone to signal sinks (depends on density of devices). However, Insteon
> uses 131.65kHz vs. X-10's 120kHz and is therefore subject to the same noise
> sources and signal sinks. Insteon devices have better sensitivity and this
> might make noise sources (e.g. CFLs) even more of a problem.
>
> There have been several X-10 users who have switched and who report Insteon
> works better but they have been ones who were also skilled at
> troubleshooting and maximizing their X-10 systems.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by the reference to your coupler. An X-10 coupler
> may not couple Insteon signals. You will need the Insteon SignaLincs for
> that and also for receiving RF from wireless remotes once they become
> available.
>
> I've written a brief article explaining X-10 noise and signal sinks. See...
>
>      http://davehouston.net/noise.htm

> roZetta-subscr...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm at work so I'll post more info later, but...

The biggest problem that I have is with things turning off randomly.
At this point it happens at various places throughout the house.

If I'm understanding all that I read, and I'm no electrical engineer,
it seems that the XTB or any signal booster (multiple Insteon device)
would help with this issue.  DO I have that right?

I also have a problem with one light not controlling reliably but
that's minor compare to the above.