Re: Insteon/X10

"Paul" <PAUL_R_JACOBS@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1174611526.163321.166780@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I had installed X10.  It was very flaky in my house. I bought a plug
> in phase coupler which didn't help much. I have lights going off
> randomly, some lights unable to controlled etc.

Can you tell us more about the kind of components (CM11A, CM15A or other HW)
and software you are using?  Understanding the failure mode of your X-10
might help determine what future direction to suggest.  It could even be
that the XTB series of boosters might help restore your X-10 functionality
to acceptable levels.

> Is Insteon going to be much better?  I was hoping that the RF was used
> to send signals,but as I understand it, the RF is used for phase
> coupling.  That being the case, since I already have a coupler, can I
> expect much better with Insteon.

As you've discovered, Insteon is a hybrid system, but it's still mostly PLC
and sends control signals through the powerline.

Smarthome's got a flexible return policy (if you consider two or three
billing cycles to post refunds reasonable!) so I would say the best bet for
you is to buy a starter kit and give it a whirl.  That will tell you better
than any of us how Insteon will perform in your environment.

The most important advantage Insteon has, IMHO, is that MORE switches mean
STRONGER signals whereas the reverse is usually true of an X-10
installation.  X-10 "scales up" rather poorly since each transmitter, by
design, absorbs some of the X-10 signal sent by other X-10 transmitters.
The more X-10 gear you install, the weaker and weaker the overall signal
level becomes in the entire house.

I *was* about to switch away from X-10 for the same reasons you noted, but
Jeff Volp's XTB devices eliminated the troublesome "dead spots" and other
anomalies that modern 110VAC electronic goodies like UPSs, CFLs, SPSs, GFIs
and other 3-letter demons <g> cause on home powerlines.  I'd have to know a
little more about what you've got and how you use it before I could say for
sure that was the cheapest and easiest way to go.

In my case, considering $ for $ and hour for hour of my time, the XTB was
the hands down winner.  No switches to swap.  No SW to change, no change in
the human interface to the system.  Just plug in a few XTBs (or have the II
installed) and the flakey becomes the reliable.  As they said in Aliens and
my X-10 meters confirm: "that's one big ****ing signal!"  There's 20V+
coming out of my controllers instead of the anemic 5V that dribbled out
before.  That boost makes all the difference in the world.  It may not be
the answer for you, however.  It all depends on your setup.

--
Bobby G.