Re: Insteon/X10

"Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote > "Paul" <PAUL_R_JACOBS@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message

> >I had installed X10.  It was very flaky in my house. I bought a plug
> > in phase coupler which didn't help much. I have lights going off
> > randomly, some lights unable to controlled etc.
>
> I have been creating a troubleshooting series for X10 that may help:
>
> http://jeffvolp.home.att.net/x10_info/x10_troubleshooting.htm

Very nicely done.  The part about CFL's was especially "illuminating"
<sorry - couldn't resist>!

Seriously, though, the photo at:

http://jeffvolp.home.att.net/x10_info/cfl_noise.jpg

really shows how several CFL's operating in proximity can generate some very
interesting noise patterns.  I'm hoping my next trip to Home Depot to buy
the bulbs Marc suggested will eliminate some of the issues I've experienced
(flashing, line noise, signal sucking and unintended relighting).  (Marc, if
you're reading this, can you post the UPC codes of the CFL's you mentioned?
It's been useful in helping locate stock they didn't know they had before.)

http://jeffvolp.home.att.net/x10_info/x10_couplers.htm  is remarkably
thorough.  Great diagram work, too, showing how the breakers are connected
to the different phases

I'd create a simple template for each page so that when you got to the
bottom of one you could jump to another, but that's a minor gripe.

http://jeffvolp.home.att.net/x10_info/x10_reliability.htm  is one of the few
pages missing a "return" at the bottom.

Very impressive piece of work, Jeff.

Now get to work completing: