>> Like the little video on the InTouch
>> site illustrates, devices at opposite
>> edges of the network cannot reach
>> each other.
>
> That statement is misleading.  Devices
> at opposite ends do not need to reach
> each other.  They only need to reach
> the closest device to them.

What is not clear to me is how Z-wave networks determine routing.  Does each
node only look for its immediate neighbors or all it can find?  Also its not
clear if the routing structure is node based or shared throughout the
network.  There are development kits and additional information out there,
but I have not pursued any of it.

If I understand the HS addon correctly, it allows route editing to help
reach more distant nodes.  Again, I have not purchased it so I can supply
anything definitive.  If that is true, that is great for HS based
installations where their Z-troller is the primary.  It does not do much
good for non-HS installations.  Presuming Z-wave grows, there would look to
be a market for tools, not unlike the Monterey or Elk X-10 analyzers.