Re: Infrared to serial signaler

news:45f6f3e5.1805541390@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >Lots of stuff to try!  I hope this works out.  At least it's starting off
> >lot better than the Ocelot and Bobcat effort did.  The return deal is a
lot
> >better too.  If I can't get it to do what I want in 30 days, all I am out
is
> >the $16 postage here and back.
>
> Why were you using a Bobcat?

There was some issue that seemed to require it.  IIRC, it was a either a
difference in the way the two items handled text strings or it was to avoid
having to unplug and replug the Ocelot's single serial port to switch
between programming modes and operational modes.  I'd have to check my notes
again, but I'll turn the question around and ask "why do they make the
serial Bobcat if the Ocelot can do it all?"  (-:

> The Ocelot can send about 32 ASCII strings

It may have been that I calculated I needed more than that to manage the GVI
MUX's 93 possible commands (I'll post those in a separate, HTML formatted
message).  There was *some* issue but my raging senility is preventing me
from remembering it and my raging laziness is too great to let me go to
ADI's forum to look up my previous posts there.

> (it's been years since I played with this so details are hazy)

It's been *months* for me and the details were never very clear to me to
begin with!

> and you can  trigger them with IR, X-10 or other inputs. Have you looked
at Guy
> Lavoie's tutorial on C-Max programming?

Oh yes.  He's written some excellent material, as have some other very
helpful folks at ADI's forum but if the paradigm is not clear, even the best
explanations will be of limited help.

> I'm surprised you had trouble learning Sony 12 bit codes - ADI recommended
> using those codes for control applications like this.

One thing that might have been tripping me up was that I was trying to learn
stacked commands.  The IR232 clearly shows some Sony button presses send up
to four discrete device/function code pairs.  I had alway thought it was
"one man, one vote" and "one button, one code."  Whatever I was doing, the
Ocelot always seemed to have trouble recognizing certain codes but not
others.  Things got a little better when I followed Guy's advice to hold the
buttons down for a full second during both learning and operation, but they
did not improve completely.  Worse, still, the one second presses are not
intuitive and extending the presses really affected overall response lag.