[no subject]

> Also, it's possible to enter IR codes directly using a utility that's a
free download
> from ADI's web site.

IR-Max? I have that among the 61MB and 117 files I've DL'ed into my ADI
directory but it seemed instead of getting easier, things just kept
requiring more and more work arounds and add-ons.  While I realize a pro
like Guy could bang out the code I needed in a few hours or less, for a tyro
like me it just seemed I was descended further and further into the weeds.

The IR232, by contrast, has already "learned" every Sony IR code (well, not
my Sony DVD 400 disc jukebox!!!) and merely has to be programmed to spit out
a certain text string over its serial port when it sees a specific
device/function code on IR.  That's SO much easier than training the Ocelot
or loading it with canned IR codes from a database.  Admittedly, the Ocelot
is incredibly more flexible, and can operate with a much larger spectrum of
remotes, than the IR232.  But I am looking for simple and that's exactly
what I got.

> Ladder logic really isn't a programming language. It predates most
computers
> and most of the languages you learned. It was and is widely used in the
> automotive and other industries for process control. These days they use
> PLCs; in olden times they used cabinets full of relays, solenoids, etc. I
> read one opinion that the death of the pinball industry came about as a
> result of switching to electronics - the mechanics who readily understood
> ladder logic were lost when it came to electronics and electronics techs
> could make more money servicing computers and computerized equipment.

If I ever decide to build a pinball machine, I can see where ladder logic
would come in handy.  But my experience with it would not make me want to
trust my home control to it, simply because nearly every complex conditional
statement I ever wrote in C-Max evaluated "unexpectedly" for me.

> The Celadon device I mentioned can handle multiple IR protocols, can send
> ASCII or Binary (I assume that's what they mean by HEX output) via RS232
and
> has custom firmware available for many different devices (mostly Home
> Theater oriented). I have no idea how much one costs.

The Sony-only limitation of IR232 isn't really a handicap in this
installation.  The IR232 sends binary and ASCII, too.

http://www.celadon.com/infrared-receiver-specs/RCV-5000_infrared_receiver_sp
ecs.html

> PS: After you give up and return the IR232 I'll try to help you do this
with
> the Ocelot. ;)

I think this is going to be a keeper based solely on how quickly I was able
to fire it up and see output.  But nothing's a certainty in this life so
we'll just have to see how it goes. Thanks for the offer, though.

--
Bobby G.