Re: Infrared to serial signaler

stephenb2001@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Hi I work in the Home Automation area and am interested in trying to
>expand some current products functionality. Specificialy i am
>interested in expanding the use of Global Cache (www.globalcache.com).
>What i am looking for is a device or piece of software that takes an
>infrared signal and outputs a serial code via a com port, the reason
>being is we have software that will not include serial codes for
>certain devices but has infrared progamability. So i could get the
>programe to send an infrared signal to the device and the device have
>a serial command it would then send to the device mimicing serial
>control. I know 2 way communication would be harder but serial control
>is all i am trying to achieve for now via infrared. Can anyone suggest
>anything?
>
>Stephen

I'm not sure I understand what you want but most IR to serial devices will
not have an output that matches the serial protocol of your (unspecified)
device. Most output either a non-specific (but unique) code (e.g. IRMan) or
output CCF codes.

It sounds like you need a custom IR-serial translator. Take a look at
Celadon - they do this type of thing.

     http://www.celadon.com/index.html

http://davehouston.net