Infrared to serial signaler

Hi I work in the Home Automation area and am interested in trying to
expand some current products functionality. Specificialy i am
interested in expanding the use of Global Cache (www.globalcache.com).
What i am looking for is a device or piece of software that takes an
infrared signal and outputs a serial code via a com port, the reason
being is we have software that will not include serial codes for
certain devices but has infrared progamability. So i could get the
programe to send an infrared signal to the device and the device have
a serial command it would then send to the device mimicing serial
control. I know 2 way communication would be harder but serial control
is all i am trying to achieve for now via infrared. Can anyone suggest
anything?

Stephen