Re: Stupid home non-automation product

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 04:42:10 GMT, "Steve" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
in message  <CYpJh.14127$y92.11052@attbi_s22>:

>"Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> "Steve" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Ladder logic is a wide spread approach to industrial controllers.  Easy
>>> to do, no Comp Sci degree required, stuff programs more or less in
>>> English. Classic process control/manufacturing kind of thing.  Very
>>> different than the  classic computer languages and mystifying to the
>>> structured programming crowd or those who think MS Visual products are
>>> the standard.
>>
>> Totally true.  Ladder is very easy to use once one lets go of structured
>> programming concepts, subroutines, interrupts...
>
>Watching Comp Sci people struggle with it was always amusing when I was
>teaching it.  At one point I was compared to Yoda in a room full of
>budding Jedi attempting to convince them that it really was that simple.

LOL  Kinda like the 'magic' of National Instruments' Labview: Drag a wire
between the clock and the eyeglasses in the Deterministic Block and wire
the crayon to the FFT Node in the Timed Loop Block and the Gizmo on the
Virtual Instrument will provide the right real time answer ;-)

For a single person to code a complex Labview project by push- pop- mov-
incr-ing would require the life span of an immortal ...

Even duplicating a Labview project in the high level combination of NI
Measurement Studio + MS .Net takes longer (although you have the
impression, if not the reality, of having to 'trust' a bit less).

(FWIW, I'll have some National Instruments data acquisition (DAQ) hardware
in my upcoming porch sale.)

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org