Re: Stupid home non-automation product

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 15:34:13 GMT, "Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote in
message  <VXAHh.42698$as2.22509@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>"Marc_F_Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>> Some HA controllers (ADI ocelot, Elk MM443) can/could read analog input
>> and perform mathematical operations on the numerical values, but
>> are/were still appallingly stupid with respect to archiving the data or
>> performing anything but the simplest statistical analysis.
>
>While what you say about archiving data is true for the Ocelot, one can do
>complex decision making.  For example, I run our garage exhaust fan in the
>early morning hours when the previous day was hot, and only while there is
>a  significant delta T between the garage temperature and outside air.
>This  simple approach keeps the garage almost 10 degrees cooler in the
>summer.  Temperature sensors are cheap thermistors read through a SECU16.
>Some simple code linearizes the readings over the working temperature
>ange so it can be displayed in degrees F.
>
>Jeff

Sure. This is a relatively simple rule of the form:

 WHILE [Time period}
 IF [computed value] > [constant] THEN [Boolean result]

One has been able to point-and-click through this sort of computed
rule-making using windows-based CyberHouse for a decade.

But there is very little "historical data" and no "statistics" involved.

And the rule might not be smart enough to avoid violating the "do no harm'
maxim.  For example, if the positive delta T is because there is a fire in
the garage, will the system know not to literally fan the flames?

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.NeuralHome.net