Re: Infrared to serial signaler

"Bill Kearney" <wkearney-99@hot-mail-com> wrote in message
news:NYmdnbAbMs9ceW_YnZ2dnUVZ_vTinZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Many thanks it was the Indutrologic device i was looking for.
>
> Which uses Sony SIRC 40khz IR codes.  Are you using Sony devices and
> remotes?

No, but I am.  I just ordered an IR232 from them to control my GVI-MUXes.
The MUXes have serial inputs that respond to text commands and I'll be
controlling them with Sony VCR codes on AUX1 and 2 of my X-10 UR24A remote.
I talked to one someone on the phone (Gary, IIRC) and described what I
wanted to do and how I had problems doing it with C-Max, an Ocelot and a
serial bobcat because of problems recognizing codes reliably enough and fast
enough.  He said it should work and a with a lot less fuss then the Ocelot.
Besides, I'm C-Max challenged and I fall off ladder logic about as readily
as I do real ladders.  (-:  In any event, they have a good return policy if
it doesn't work out.

The addition of more dogs and more cameras meant I had run out of modulated
channels.  If the IR232 works, I will redo the system so that the output of
each MUX feeds a modulator.  The dogs have one 16 channel MUX on channel 85,
the house and perimeter cams are on another MUX that is modulated to channel
90.  I am going to put a third one on line that shows a camera focused on
the gas meter dial, a camera on the water meter, the electric meter, the
Sony CD55 jukebox readout, the alarm panel status and the wireless
thermometer so I can select some "utility" views.  Supercircuits sell
focusable low light BW board cams that have more than adequate resolution
for $12.  I remember when even a B&W TV camera was the size of suitcase!

--
Bobby G.