Re: Stupid home non-automation product

"Marc_F_Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:ejftu2dgcmhtu3lqlepuklal72ea0kaelh@xxxxxxxxxx

> Some HA controllers (ADI ocelot, Elk MM443) can/could read analog input
> and
> perform mathematical operations on the numerical values, but are/were
> still
> appallingly stupid with respect to archiving the data or performing
> anything but the simplest statistical analysis.

While what you say about archiving data is true for the Ocelot, one can do
complex decision making.  For example, I run our garage exhaust fan in the
early morning hours when the previous day was hot, and only while there is a
significant delta T between the garage temperature and outside air.  This
simple approach keeps the garage almost 10 degrees cooler in the summer.
Temperature sensors are cheap thermistors read through a SECU16.  Some
simple code linearizes the readings over the working temperature range so it
can be displayed in degrees F.

Jeff