Re: $50 long-range active RFID for HA

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 19:13:20 -0700, AZ Woody <reply@here> wrote in message
<45ee1fc0$0$25784$815e3792@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

<MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>>There has been considerable interest in long-range active
>>>Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) for use with home automation
>>>systems.
>
>>>One can get a set of active (315 MHz or 433MHz) RFID receiver (with
>>>RS-232 interface) and transmitter  PCBs with a claimed range of 8 meters
>>>(keyfob) 40 meters (car accessory) for about $50 depending on device,
>>>enclosures and antenna chosen.
>
>>What good is it for home automation?  Are you going to make everybody
>>wear badges?

>Badges, we don't need no stinkin' badges! :)

Might you mean: "Badges? We ain't got no badges."  ?

as said by Gold Hat, played by Alfonso Bedoya, in the John and Walter
Huston/Bogart 1948 film _The Treasure of the Sierra Madre_ ?

With RFID, we'd know whether he _did_ actually have one, wouldn't we ? ;-)

According to someone who apparently keeps track of such things in the
HomeSeer forum on the CheapRFID, there were 600 posts and ~16,000 reads on
the topic since November 2006 (!).

Open-field range with $4 antenna is about 300 feet (up to 750 feet
reported) for the "40 meter" device and somewhat less for the "8 meter"
version.
http://www.wingsnwakes.com
http://www.cheaperTronics.com

... Marc