Re: garage remote jamming

news:45e7f5a5.822962406@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >So in reality, X-10 is the one that actually "uses a frequency different
> >from most remote controls, cellular/portable phones, and other wireless
> >devices" not RadioRA.  How ironic!
>
> Except that X-10 also uses 418MHz for its Powermids.
>
> >Really?  I don't remember him revealing that he was any more than a
> >satisfied customer.  Did I miss a post?

I don't need no stinkin' Powermids to run X10 RF!   I've had enough problems
with them recently (too much RF on the 418MHz band, I wonder?) that I am
going to retire them for a $100 system that Smarthome sells.  The are at
least 10, if not 20 years old, so I got my money's worth.  I'm monitoring
for some feedback at their site since some IR gear appears to get completely
flummoxed by interference from plasma TV's.  I'll try to remember to post
the URL when I make up my next order.

I've been having to turn then Powermids on and off remotely via X-10 RF so
that only the pair I am currently using is powered up, but that's a bit of a
bear.  IR is certainly something that can be handled via wire pretty easily.
I'll bet someone here could even figure out a mod to make the Powermids work
via wire only, but it's probably not even worth the effort since I can sell
them intact on Ebay.

> It's his level of satisfaction and a mention that he left some test gear
at
> a client that make me suspicious. ;)

I just assumed that meant he had test gear (of some sort, not necessarily RA
related), a client and an occasionally faulty memory, like a lot of us.  I
have test gear, and I often leave it at friends and clients alike, but I'm
very obviously NOT a Radio RA dealer.  I don't think Bill's a dealer,
either, just a very satisfied customer who had been traumatized by X-10 and
PLC demons and is very relieved to be free of them.

I've got to go search out ways to declack some TM751 or RR501's.  For
coverage reasons, I need two units in the basement.  In monitoring the dogs
at night, I can clearly see they awaken and get antsy every time they hear a
relay clack.  I don't need a single extra reason in the *world* to make one
of the Devil's Four awaken in the middle of the night.  I haven't had an
uninterrupted night of sleep since last year.  Maybe a declacked transceiver
will help.  I recall seeing a mod that used solid state relays . . .

--
Bobby G.