Re: garage remote jamming

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I went to the Lutron site and about all I could find in the FAQ about
>vulnerability to jamming from higher powered transmitters is this:

>http://www.lutron.com/radiora/ra_faq.asp#Q16
>
>"Q16: Will other equipment in my home or neighboring homes interfere with my
>RadioRA system?
>
>RadioRA operates at a frequency different from most remote controls,
>cellular/portable phones, and other wireless devices. The RadioRA
>communication protocol ensures that any device operating at the same
>frequency will not affect the lighting on your system. Also, your system
>will not affect other RadioRA systems. During startup, your system searches
>for other systems in the area and creates a unique system code to prevent
>cross-system interaction."

>I think a careful read of that says that while a new military transmitter on
>the RA frequency won't turn your lights on inadvertently, there's no
>assurance that the user will still be able to control the lighting either!

That's a nice mixture of technobabble and deliberate disinformation.

IIRC, RadioRA uses 418MHz ASK which is the same frequency and modulation
used by _most_ RF remotes (X-10's 310MHz being the exception).

Assigning a unique "housecode" may prevent accidental interoperability
between neighbors but it will not prevent (any more than Z-Wave using
encryption) capture & playback or jamming. Insteon and UPB require
enrollment of each device which does prevent casual neighborly interference.

But, methinks you are arguing with a RadioRA dealer who already knows all
the above. ;)

http://davehouston.net