Re: garage remote jamming

<stuff snipped>

> As military, police, fire, etc. need additional frequencies, the bands
used
> by unlicensed low-power consumer applications are a logical place to look.
> As we've seen in this case, they can't even be bothered to ask the FCC
what
> technologies they will likely be stepping on and how many people they
might
> inconvenience. I doubt this will be the only instance.

I went to the Lutron site and about all I could find in the FAQ about
vulnerability to jamming from higher powered transmitters is this:

http://www.lutron.com/radiora/ra_faq.asp#Q16

"Q16: Will other equipment in my home or neighboring homes interfere with my
RadioRA system?

RadioRA operates at a frequency different from most remote controls,
cellular/portable phones, and other wireless devices. The RadioRA
communication protocol ensures that any device operating at the same
frequency will not affect the lighting on your system. Also, your system
will not affect other RadioRA systems. During startup, your system searches
for other systems in the area and creates a unique system code to prevent
cross-system interaction."

I think a careful read of that says that while a new military transmitter on
the RA frequency won't turn your lights on inadvertently, there's no
assurance that the user will still be able to control the lighting either!

"Will not effect your lighting" is legally not quite the same as "will not
effect your ability to control your lighting."  While a new super USMC
transmitter obviously won't turn on your lights when it's "on air" because
of the complex ID protocol RadioRA uses, it doesn't mean the RA messages
from RA controllers to RA switches themselves won't be blocked entirely by
the interference.

I'd say Lutron's tech staff are the only ones who can conclusively rule on
the question.  I imagine that in the light of news stories describing how
other home radio-controlled devices are being affected by new military
transmitters it would be important for them to describe exactly *how* they
are immune and what steps they would take for the consumer if it turned out
they weren't.  It would be nice to know what, if anything, is operating at
the same frequency, or could be in the future, as well.

In reading through their site, I see nothing that leads me to believe
they've developed a radio product that can operate in the presence of a
stronger signal operating at the same frequency.  If these recent "garage
door killing" transmission tests ARE designed to neutralize remotely
detonated bombs, it would seem RA is a security risk if it allows remote
operation during a jamming transmission.  (-:  Watch out for the men in the
black helos, Bill.  They might be coming to confiscate your gear!

Maybe someone else can ask Lutron directly since I've about exhausted my
interest in this subject unless someone can prove *ANY* home-based RF
solution can operate in the presence of a much stronger transmitter
operating on the same frequency. I know of military frequency hopping
systems that are resistant to jamming, but they're very pricey.  I'm still
of the mind that you can shout all you want in the middle of a hurricane,
but no matter how loud you shout, no one will hear you.  If it absolutely,
positively has to work, first time, every time, then go hardwired!

Here's are the numbers I culled from the site.

RadioRA toll-free hotline at 1.877.610.7410

Customer Service  1.888.LUTRON1  8AM-8PM EST

 Technical Assistance  1.800.523.9466  24 hours a day,   7 days a week

--
Bobby G.