Re: Battery Backup Failing (X10 Protector Plus security console)

<gkamieneski@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> > My next "best guess" is that during the storm and the powerblips you got
> > surge of some sort that popped something on the board.  I'd very much
doubt
> > if it's the battery harness wires - more likely to be components
involved in
> > detecting line voltage and switching in the battery when 110VAC is
absent.
> > The battery harness wires usually fail during battery replacement time
when
> > you remove the old battery and pull on the harness and the snap
connector.
> > I've had 9v connectors break at the middle so it might be something to
> > check.  It doesn't seem likely in your case, though, because the light
came
> > on long before you fiddled with the battery.
> >
> > --
> > Bobby G.
>
> My fault for not testing the old battery before throwing it away.  I
> had thought that the 9v had drained "normally" during the ice storm
> power outages, whereas in reality the low battery light may have come
> on from system board damage.  Had I tested the suspect battery (because
> the low batt light was on) rather than just blindly replace it, and had
> it tested positively, that would have told me that the problem was with
> the console's electronics.

It's pretty easy to seize on the wrong suspect in the early part of an
investigation, whether it's an electronics problem or a murder case.  I did
the same hunting down what I thought was a stuck transmitter button on a
Palmpad recently, only to find out it was the dread "endless dim" syndrome.
It was just as reasonable for you to assume that the battery had drained
normally as it was for me to assume I was seeing a repeat of something that
had already occurred several times before.

I read a recommendation, IIRC, of letting the alarm unit sit unplugged and
without a battery overnight if you want to be sure it resets.  I'd try that
next as the easiest option to check.  Bear in mind it's now possible for you
to actually have a harness problem even though initially it was just a reset
issue because you've tugged on the battery harness wires and snapped the 9
volt connector a few times.  That's all it takes on some equipment,
especially the kind without adequate strain relief.  Those kinds of
secondary, diagnostic-induced problems can drive someone crazy.

My real concern however is whether you can trust an alarm controller that's
been zapped hard enough to blow out the backup switchover circuit.  I'd test
it *very* thoroughly once you got it back on line or look for sale on a new
one somewhere.  It may have been the only circuit affected but probably not
. . .

--
Bobby G.