Re: Battery Backup Failing (X10 Protector Plus security console)

Robert Green wrote:
> <gkamieneski@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
> <stuff snipped>
>
> > No, it's definitely the light that indicates that the 9v battery that
> > keeps the zones and devices straight on the console is running low.
> > This is an indoor unit and the batteries are measuring 9.5v across the
> > harness.
>
> Are you measuring the battery voltage "in circuit" with the unit powered up?

Yes, with AC power to the unit and the battery installed, I measured
9.5v across the terminals of the battery harness.  Not experienced with
the multimeter, but if there was a test I could do on the harness that
attaches to the 9v, it would save me opening up the unit to look for
detached wires (a possibility).

> I would suggest unplugging the unit with the battery out, letting it sit for
> 10 minutes and restarting it.  I imagine you're trying to avoid that so as
> not to lose your setup but reading further on the net it seems this unit can
> get into an "indeterminate" state after being subjected to powerline
> "blips."  That's a fairly common failure mode for X-10.  I have a minitimer
> that has exactly the same symptoms.  Reports "low battery" but battery
> voltage is 9v+ and drains over time.  Configuration data is held during
> power outtages.
>
> I feel your pain if that's the only solution because it's no fun registering
> the sensors all over again.  A battery backup is supposed to save
> configuration data, not force you to purge it to restore proper functioning.
>
> As someone else suggested, it would be helpful to know if the unit is
> drawing any current from the battery using some jumpers and a meter that can
> measure microamps.  You might find living with a bum warning light
> preferable to re-registering all your sensors if you knew the backup was
> really working and it was just indicator error.
>
> How old are the batteries in your sensors?  It's conceivable it was trying
> to send a low battery signal from a zone that got flagged as a low voltage
> console battery due to a power blip.
>
> You say you replaced the 9v battery.  Did you mean you pulled the old
> battery and tossed it or put it back in?  If you tossed it, was it low?

Tossed battery and installed a fresh one.  I don't really mind re
registering all of the zones and controls, so I will shut everything
down and start over.