Re: Battery Backup Failing (X10 Protector Plus security console)

<gkamieneski@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> gkamieneski@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Robert Green wrote:
> > > <gkamieneski@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > >
> > > <stuff snipped>

> > > Are you measuring the battery voltage "in circuit" with the unit
powered up?

> > Yes, with AC power to the unit and the battery installed, I measured
> > 9.5v across the terminals of the battery harness.  Not experienced with
> > the multimeter, but if there was a test I could do on the harness that
> > attaches to the 9v, it would save me opening up the unit to look for
> > detached wires (a possibility).
> > >
> > > I would suggest unplugging the unit with the battery out, letting it
sit for
> > > 10 minutes and restarting it.  I imagine you're trying to avoid that
so as
> > > not to lose your setup but reading further on the net it seems this
unit can
> > > get into an "indeterminate" state after being subjected to powerline
> > > "blips."  That's a fairly common failure mode for X-10.  I have a
minitimer
> > > that has exactly the same symptoms.  Reports "low battery" but battery
> > > voltage is 9v+ and drains over time.  Configuration data is held
during
> > > power outtages.
> > >
> > > I feel your pain if that's the only solution because it's no fun
registering
> > > the sensors all over again.  A battery backup is supposed to save
> > > configuration data, not force you to purge it to restore proper
functioning.

> > > As someone else suggested, it would be helpful to know if the unit is
> > > drawing any current from the battery using some jumpers and a meter
that can
> > > measure microamps.  You might find living with a bum warning light
> > > preferable to re-registering all your sensors if you knew the backup
was
> > > really working and it was just indicator error.
> > >
> > > How old are the batteries in your sensors?  It's conceivable it was
trying
> > > to send a low battery signal from a zone that got flagged as a low
voltage
> > > console battery due to a power blip.
> > >
> > > You say you replaced the 9v battery.  Did you mean you pulled the old
> > > battery and tossed it or put it back in?  If you tossed it, was it
low?

> > Tossed battery and installed a fresh one.  I don't really mind re
> > registering all of the zones and controls, so I will shut everything
> > down and start over.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Bobby G.
>
> Left the battery out and the X10 Protector Plus console unplugged for
> an hour.  Unfortunately, as soon as I brought it back online, it
> stopped recognizing the 9v battery.  Guess I'll have to tear it apart
> to review the battery harness connections.

My next "best guess" is that during the storm and the powerblips you got a
surge of some sort that popped something on the board.  I'd very much doubt
if it's the battery harness wires - more likely to be components involved in
detecting line voltage and switching in the battery when 110VAC is absent.
The battery harness wires usually fail during battery replacement time when
you remove the old battery and pull on the harness and the snap connector.
I've had 9v connectors break at the middle so it might be something to
check.  It doesn't seem likely in your case, though, because the light came
on long before you fiddled with the battery.

--
Bobby G.