Re: HA Primer - Pos and cons of X-10, Z-wave, Insteon, UPB

On Apr 28, 10:34 am, nob...@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dave Houston) wrote:
> "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> If the controller is centrally located, 4 hops in every direction
> >> can cover a home that is ~200 long by ~200 feet wide
>
> >That's nice if it's possible to centrally locate the controller.
>
> If you're the owner of this specious estate and want to walk around the
> perimeter of your network while using a handheld remote to control it,
> you'll find that you can only control 1/2 (or less) of the network from
> anywhere on the perimeter as signals fall off the edge of the earth after 4
> hops.

Dave, Do you own any Z-Wave equipment?  If so, are you having issues
getting it to work?  If not, are you using a technology that you are
having problems with?  I am just trying to understand your negative
theorical specification speak against Z-Wave when most of the posters
here think its a solid technology, and some posters, including myself,
have a successful installation with no bandaids like line filters, etc.