Re: HA Primer - Pos and cons of X-10, Z-wave, Insteon, UPB

"echo" <shaw@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>As I mentioned X-10 has been discussed.  Lets talk about something new like
>the way Insteon works or Zwave, Zigbee, or Home PNP

To what purpose? You've demonstrated that you don't understand X-10 so it's
unlikely you will understand the other technologies.

BTW, TCP/IP has been in widespread use over the powerlines for a few years
now. Search Google using (HomePlug or BPL). HomePlug has a simpler Command
and Control protocol that should start appearing in products soon. I suggest
starting with an overview like...

     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug_Powerline_Alliance

For HPCC, see..

     http://www.itrancomm.com/pr2006_03_06_Homeplug.htm

There are at least two other competing (can coexist, cannot interoperate)
alliances pushing their own broadband powerline technologies.

     http://www.upaplc.com/
     http://wirelesswatch.jp/2005/03/14/seca-powerline-alliance/

There's no reason powerline commands cannot be heard by low voltage DC
devices if they get their power from the powerline. The ESM1 X10 meter is a
low voltage device that gets its power from a wall transformer. If you mean
battery powered, then wireless would be necessary.

Insteon, UPB and ZWave have been discussed here for a few years. Do a little
research.

Insteon is a faster, two-way PLC protocol. It uses 131.65kHz and suffers
with the same noise sources and signal sinks as does X10 although the fact
that each Insteon module or switch repeats the signal tends to alleviate
things somewhat. It needs a phase bridge - it just uses a wireless method
for this. Prices are comparable to X10 but there are, as yet, not as many
devices available. User feedback has been positive.

UPB is a faster, two-way PLC protocol. PCS claims no phase bridge is needed
but they are sold by all UPB suppliers none-the-less. Prices are high,
variety is low. User feedback has been positive.

Z-Wave requires a minimal density of modules to assure coverage. This plus
their 4 hops max limits the physical size of a network although one supplier
now offers a system with 7 hops max. Lutron has a strong patent on two-way
RF operated switches which is likely to further delay market acceptance and
add cost (for royalties and court costs). There has been very little user
feedback here.

Zigbee is not, in and of itself, a home automation protocol. There are some
manufacturers supplying Zigbee based HA devices but devices from various
manufacturers do not interoperate. Zigbee based devices may also run afoul
of Lutron's patents (Lutron has sued Control-4). I cannot recall seeing any
user feedback.

I have no idea what "Home PNP" is. Google spits up non HA related links.

There are numerous hard-wired systems available.

Clipsal C-Bus is both hard-wired and wireless and has an excellent
reputation. It is starting to appear in N. America. Search on "Square-D
C-Bus".

Some of these links may be outdated.

     http://www.brightan.com/
     http://caraca.sourceforge.net/