Re: HA Primer - Pos and cons of X-10, Z-wave, Insteon, UPB

On Apr 25, 3:23 pm, "Robert L Bass" <no-sales-spam@bassburglaralarms>
wrote:
> > Z-Wave requires a minimal density of modules
> > to assure coverage. This plus their 4 hops max
> > limits the physical size of a network although
> > one supplier now offers a system with 7 hops
> > max...
>
> Mr. Houston is wrong about this.  Standard
> Z-Wave systems with "only" 4 hops can handle
> extremely large homes.  If the controller is
> centrally located, 4 hops in every direction
> can cover a home that is ~200 long by ~200 feet
> wide.  That's quite a bit larger than the average
> HA palace.
>
> > Lutron has a strong patent on two-way RF
> > operated switches which is likely to further
> > delay market acceptance and add cost...
>
> So far, Lutron's patent has not hindered development
> or market acceptance of Z-Wave in the least.  It has
> not cost anything either.  Lutron's patent is too weak
> to prevent anyone from placing a 2-way RF module
> inside a junction box.  That's like saying that Victrola
> could keep anyone else from making a record player.
> They'll press their lawsuit as far as they can in hopes
> of maintaining their market position a little longer, but
> price competition as well as the fact that Z-Wave is
> compatible with far more systems than Lutron will
> doom Radio RA.
>
> > (for royalties and court costs). There has been
> > very little user feedback here.
>
> There has been plenty of negative comment from one
> individual who rarely mentions that he has never tried
> it.
>
> > Zigbee is not, in and of itself, a home automation
> > protocol. There are some manufacturers supplying
> > Zigbee based HA devices but devices from various
> > manufacturers do not interoperate...
>
> Z-Wave devices from different manufacturers
> generally do interoperate.  There are over a hundred
> manufacturers developing or already marketing
> Z-Wave compatible hardware.
>
> > Zigbee based devices may also run afoul
> > of Lutron's patents...
>
> or not.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Robert L Bass

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>
> Bass Home Electronics
> 941-925-8650
> 4883 Fallcrest Circle
> Sarasota =B7 Florida =B7 34233http://www.bassburglaralarms.com
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

z-wave for me, all the way.  the house is 100% z-wave. Installation
was a snap, Homeseer 2.0 supports is all.  IHO powerline control is
too noisy and too buggy (filter, etc) to be a complete home automation
solution.