Re: monitor video from 2 miles away

In article <1176740314.541324.129630@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
 <sky_diver_@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Thanks for the info Bobby. While I was waiting for a response I
>stumbled upon a college research project that explored USB WiFi
>dongles and how to extend their range (http://
>www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/). Apparently by modifying a wok skimmer you
>can get 1-8 miles LOS.
>
>Your suggestion looks good, but I'll have to try the WokFi version
>first. :)

Of course, you could just get a decent 2.4GHz antenna.  I am using a
24dBi gain mesh antenna to reach our 802.11b POP that is 3.5-4 miles away,
and slightly obscured by trees (more of a problem during winter with snow).
I have had good service with it, but if you are closer and have clearer
site lines, you could probably get by with a smaller antenna.

Check out "high gain antennas" as a source (where I got mine), or you should
be readily able to find other suppliers.

If your camera can directly talk to an USB dongle, then great, you just
have to get an antenna hookup out of the dongle.  Otherwise, you can set
up a WRT54G type of wireless router with the antenna and feed it from the
vide server.  HGA does make an integrated radio/antenna setup which is
quite nice as well.

marcus hall
marcus@xxxxxxxxxx