Re: Water heater eating X-10 signal

I don't believe there is any commercially available filter that can handle
30 amps.  The largest is the big XPF, which is rated for 20 amps.  It would
take 4 of them to filter both hot leads running to the water heater.

A heavy electrical load across the two phases normally helps X10 signal
distribution, so there must be something more here than just the heater
element.  There may be some sort of surge protection shunting the X10 signal
to ground.  Perhaps your signals were marginal before adding the heater.

It might be a good idea to invest in a X10 signal level meter, such as the
ESM1, to find out what is really going on.  Since filtering a high current
load is not very practical, the only suggestion I have if it is the water
heater is to increase your signal strength beyond what your active phase
coupler can do.

Jeff