Re: Do X10 modules degrade over time?

Hello Jeff,

>>FWIW, yesterday we had another lamp module croak. Oh man. Sometimes I
>>wish I had never had the idea of installing X-10. Now my wife has gotten
>>used to the comfort it provides but the stuff keeps failing. From what I
>>have read some of the Pro version modules probably aren't different in
>>circuitry so I guess that wouldn't help. My impression is that five
>>years may be some kind of expiration time frame for these modules. Or to
>>say it a bit arrogantly, maybe I ought to be designing my own, something
>>I'd really hate to do just for 15-20 units.
>
> We've been using X10 for almost 30 years.  Yes, we have had some failures
> over the years.  The wipers on the early thumbwheel switches often had to be
> repaired.  Over the years we lost an occasional lamp module triac due to a
> "flashbulb" lamp failure.  A switched outlet broke the little plastic lever.
> And I recall one module with an unidentified failure.  Perhaps a dozen total
> failures, half of them the early BSR module wipers.  Most were easily
> repaired and put back in service.  I don't recall any real X10 wall switch
> failures, although I did swap one out perhaps 10 years ago.  The replacement
> also was intermittent, and the problem was eventually solved with a Leviton
> 6201 repeater.
>
> Considering how cheap the X10 modules are, they have been remarkably
> reliable.  Even those old brown BSR modules are put back in service every
> year for Christmas decorations.

I haven't been so lucky. Also, some modules such as the RF transceiver
module seem to be quite marginal in other things. The plastic is
significantly discoloring where the dump resistor is located.

> I do remember a post of yours saying you re-tune all your X10 modules.
> Since your failure rate seems to be much higher than what most others
> report, could that possibly be a factor?

Probably not. I found some modules being way off, sometimes the core was
"tightened" all the way in as if it were a screw. Adjusting them has
made them work at the far end of the house.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com