Re: Do X10 modules degrade over time?

<notthisjoergsch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> switches are all fine and consistent. Some are in the same box as the
>> power outlets that failing lamp or appliance modules were plugged into.
>> IOW on the very same physical node so they should receive the same
>> signal strength and noise.
>
>You'd think...
[]

>Contrary to popular opinion, not all powerline problems originate
>outside and come inside via the main panel.  Check out the sag when your
>central A.C.  compressor starts up on a hot day.  Or the spike of
>inductive kick when it (or any motor) turns off.
>
>And of course, make certain your panel electrical connections are solid.
>Especially neutral and ground.

Right. Which begs the question of whether the failures might be caused by
hot-to-neutral/ground differentials with grounded modules that (eg) WS467
X-10 dimmers don't experience directly because they are connected to ground
only through the filament of the lamps.

I have suffered significant damage to electronic equipment in my house
through what the engineer who designed the whole-house surge-protection
installed by my utility company at the meter outside told me was consistent
with lightning ground strikes. In any case, a device that is floating (like
an in-line dimmer) may not see voltage differentials that a device connected
to ground (like a grounded module) would see. Joerg can tell us whether this
fits his physical situation and device deployment.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.EControl.org