Re: Do X10 modules degrade over time?

random735 wrote:

> Had a similar experience with a powerlinc (serial).  Started missing
> more and more until eventually it was neither receiving nor
> successfully sending signals.  My transceivers were working fine, and I
> swapped out the powerlinc with another one and all was fine... so it
> definitely is not a noise related issue at least in my case...(i
> thought it was at first, believe me, i tore my house apart trying to
> figure out why the powerlinc was having issues)
>
> so it definitely did degrade over time until eventually it stopped
> responding/sending...given that it's a solid state device, i have no
> idea what would cause that....

That's pretty much my situation. Plugged in a new device and everything
  worked again.

Marc mentioned bad electrolytics. I did check some failed modules for
that and found no problem. Most of the affected electrolytics were the
big ones on PC motherboards and in larger power supplies. What I did
notice was a change in behavior of the resonant circuit and this could
possibly indicate damage within the chip. A fried or partially fried
first stage maybe. One IC was actually completely dead. Usually ICs do
not deteriorate but either work or die abruptly. However, I have seen
some ICs in my professional life that did change their performance.
Often because of electromigration caused by undersized interconnects on
the chip.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com