Re: Insteon reliability

> Other functions such internal occupancy sensing and periphery security,
> thermostats and so on are arguably better (also) done with hard-wired
> systems, not RF or Powerline Control (PLC).  In general, think first of
> opportunities for hard-wired systems and only after those are exhausted,
> consider RF and PLC as needed because of practical considerations including
> cost.

I'm not going to disagree with you here.  Obviously wired connections
are almost always better than anything wireless.  I come from a IT
background so I'd be the first to admit that a cat 5 cable is better
than 802.11g wireless anyday.  I'm looking more at automating some
functions in my house.  My house is 50 years old so while I agree, hard
wired is better, it just isn't viable for my application

> If you want effective HA, do your cost calculations as % of home value, % of
> cost of all installed electrical, % of 10-year HVAC bill, as a cost amortized
> over your expected period of ownership, as an improvement that you will
> recoup on sale,  and so on. Don't buy hometoys out of this week's beer money
> and expect lasting value.

Unfortunately, unless you have a lot of disposable cash, it's difficult
to justify dumping a lot of money into something that you most likely
won't recoup the cost.  For most home buyers, HA would be nothing more
than a novelty.  I'm a technical person who likes to dabble with stuff
like this so installing Insteon would be more than a hobby than
anything.  The price point of the Insteon stuff seems reasonable for
what it does.  But even if I replaced all the switches in my house with
Insteon products, I can assure you that it would cost more than cost
more than a weeks worth of beer money.