Re: Insteon reliability

I woule like to know the same.  I'm interested in getting into home
automation, and insteon's products seem reasonably priced.  I just
wondered how reliable they are.  How is their build quality and do they
work significantly better than X10? The only downside I was concerned
with was with other systems such as Z-wave, X10, and soon Zigbee
becoming available, what happens if you outfit a home with this Insteon
stuff just to find that a year or two later one of the other protocols
becomes standard and SmartLabs/Insteon goes away?  I guess for small
installations like what I would have, it wouldn't be a big deal.  But
if you tied up thousands of dollars in it, you might think differently.
 It seems like the Insteon products that are available right now are
pretty good, but it appears that it is taking a long time for them to
come out with new accessories, i.e. motion sensors, remote controls,
cameras, etc.  This fact concerns me a bit.  You figure they came out
early enough to get a jump on the market, but their early advantage is
gone now because they don't really have any other products other then
dimmer switches, appliance outlets, and on/off switches.  I would like
to see more before I spend my money on it.

Thoughts?