Insteon reliability

I was at my cardiologist this AM for some tests. One of the technicians
there (who I met on my last visit when she administered a nuclear stress
test) has a daughter in her early 20s who has been a quadriplegic since an
accident at 16. I volunteered to advise her and her daughter on simple home
automation related topics.

Previously, I usually advised people in her situation to use X-10 with
appropriate cautions about reliability and with suggestions (and occasional
custom hardware) on ways to implement specific tasks.

I would like to start recommending Insteon but my direct experience is
limited and my views of its expected reliability is more academic than
empirical. I would appreciate feedback about its reliability in small to
medium sized installations. I would especially appreciate feedback from
anyone who experienced the flicker problem and who replaced the flickering
devices with newer, "fixed" devices.

I notice that they have just issued recall notices (with free upgrades) on
all of the Insteon interfaces (2414S, 2414U) but I haven't yet researched
the reasons. If anyone can share these details it would save me a bit of
time.