Re: Insteon reliability

On 14 Sep 2006 11:09:05 -0700, "Josh B." <acurazrule@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message  <1158257345.310079.321650@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>I woule like to know the same.  I'm interested in getting into home
>automation, and insteon's products seem reasonably priced.  I just
>wondered how reliable they are.  How is their build quality and do they
>work significantly better than X10? The only downside I was concerned
>with was with other systems such as Z-wave, X10, and soon Zigbee
>becoming available, what happens if you outfit a home with this Insteon
>stuff just to find that a year or two later one of the other protocols
>becomes standard and SmartLabs/Insteon goes away?  I guess for small
>installations like what I would have, it wouldn't be a big deal.  But
>if you tied up thousands of dollars in it, you might think differently.
> It seems like the Insteon products that are available right now are
>pretty good, but it appears that it is taking a long time for them to
>come out with new accessories, i.e. motion sensors, remote controls,
>cameras, etc.  This fact concerns me a bit.  You figure they came out
>early enough to get a jump on the market, but their early advantage is
>gone now because they don't really have any other products other then
>dimmer switches, appliance outlets, and on/off switches.  I would like
>to see more before I spend my money on it.
>
>Thoughts?

More INSTEON products are on the way, but much is still vapor, eg
http://simplehomenet.com/

I wouldn't assume p > 0.9 on more than what is already shipping and  +/- a
direct web-linked (ethernet)controller, +/-  in wall switch (SR277
replacement).

INSTEON can do what is arguably the hardest part of HA to retrofit to
existing housing ( automation/control of dimmed ceiling lighting) but was
never intended to provide cameras as you suggest.

Other functions such internal occupancy sensing and periphery security,
thermostats and so on are arguably better (also) done with hard-wired
systems, not RF or Powerline Control (PLC).  In general, think first of
opportunities for hard-wired systems and only after those are exhausted,
consider RF and PLC as needed because of practical considerations including
cost.

If you want effective HA, do your cost calculations as % of home value, % of
cost of all installed electrical, % of 10-year HVAC bill, as a cost amortized
over your expected period of ownership, as an improvement that you will
recoup on sale,  and so on. Don't buy hometoys out of this week's beer money
and expect lasting value.

...Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECONtrol.org