Re: No more X10 at Radio Shack?

"Bill Kearney" <wkearney99@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:jYednXLciZUnEPDYnZ2dnUVZ_t-dnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > "The stuff's just junk and nobody in their right mind should waste any
> time
> > or money on it."
> >
> > I have used X10 since 1981 (+100 modules in the house currently), am
still
> > happy with it, and by latest account I am still in my right mind.
> >
> > Just because YOU couldn't get it to work, does not mean it is junk.
>
> And just because you're willing to fool with it doesn't mean it's not.

Easy there, guys.  The truth obviously lies somewhere between.

> I've used this stuff for decades.  X10 devices regardless of vendor, time
> and again, can't stand up to use, don't operate in expected fashion and
> can't interoperate with other normal UL-approved devices.  They're just
not
> worth the aggravation.

Not worth it to you, but worth it to me as it frees dollars for other
pursuits.  You have a lower tolerance for misbehavior, mechanical or
otherwise, than most people.  Just ask the Vendettistas from ASA.  (-:
That's neither bad nor good, it's just personal preference.

Of course I'd like it if the world hadn't changed and made powerlines so
unfriendly to X-10 but Jeff Volp's XTB solved the number one issue that I
readily agree absolutely plagues X-10 -- poor signal propagation.  Stock
X-10 doesn't cut it anymore - but XTB enhanced X-10 does.  In my situation,
I just love the fact that I can buy RF load controllers for just a few
dollars and then break them apart and use them in custom applications like
wireless monitors that tell me when the dogs have moved out through the pet
door into the yard.  Loads of hobbyist mods that even my fact fingers can
accomplish, too.  X-10 serves more than just to turn lights on and off.  I
actually like to experiment with it and modify it as needed.

--
Bobby G.