Re: Laying out a new house - looking for Wiring and controller advise

> "Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> There haven't been many people here recommending replacing X-10 for those
> who understand how to keep it working. I do recommend that newcomers give
> Insteon serious consideration. Overall, it's faster and two-way with
ACK/NAK
> so it has high reliability. My interest in HA has always been from the POV
> of those with disabilities who need reliable, low-cost automation.
>
> I've noted that, as it uses 131.65kHz, it will have the same signal-sink
> issues as X-10.
>
> SmartHome really hasn't tried to snooker anybody. They are quite open
about
> Insteon causing problems for X-10 as the number of Insteon devices
> increases.

Ah.  So it is the acknowledge transmitter in each Insteon device that causes
the signal degradation.  X10 has a similar problem with their transmitters.
Shouldn't that degrade the Insteon signals too?  It's simple to design a
transmitter that presents a negligible load when active.  I wonder why these
guys didn't do that.

> Also, Europe has limits (5Vpp) for powerline carriers so a more powerful
PLC
> transmitter is only a viable solution in N. America.

Guess that means the XTB is limited to North America.  As you know, it hits
the line with up to 20Vpp.

Jeff