Re: Laying out a new house - looking for Wiring and controller advise

Wayne,

Thanks for the link. I suspect "smartlabsmike" is the administrator of the
SmartHome Insteon forum that I cited.

I do not buy the "choke" explanation. I think it's a symptom of some more
fundamental problem. It does not explain the similar flickering by the
compact fluorescent, LED lights, Lutron dimmers and others reported in the
forum I cited. And, at least one individual reported that this happens only
when certain modules transmit Insteon but not when others transmit Insteon.
Specifically, he saw flickering with a ControLinc but not with the 2414U.

In the other interference problem I cited, I've isolated the culprit but
haven't yet solved it. I have a NEC MultiSync XV15 monitor (top-shelf &
state-of-the-art when I bought it many years ago) that causes the LED to
flicker on the 2414S, 2456D3, 2000STW & causes the 1132B to go deaf to the
powerline. Whatever it's putting out is not visible on my scope (which uses
this monitor) nor does it register on my ESM1. I've been wanting to get a
new-fangled LED monitor anyway. In any event, I think it's a serious design
flaw that, like the modules losing their addresses after power glitches,
should have been fixed long ago.

I think the Insteon technology is really promising but worry that secondary
issues like these will give it a blackeye.