Re: Laying out a new house - looking for Wiring and controller advise

"John J" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Looking at 80 lights/outlets being controlled, including a large detached
> garage.  Looking for lighting control preferably with an integrated
> controller
>
> - UPB     -  Supported by Elk and HAI
> - Insteon - Single vendor, partially supported by Elk (limited grouping),
> not HAI
> - Zwave  - Integrated with Elk, not HAI. No status feed back
>
> Also looking at installing a Russound, which is HAI supported as well.
>
> I've read the Insteon comparison, done by Insteon, with a skeptical view.
> Anyone had any real world experience with this size system and layout?

Insteon has a major hardware defect, sub-standard choke coils that are
allowing noise into the triac, which causes VERY undesirable and significant
light flickering when certain loads are dimmed and there is Insteon
communication. It won't be fixed until July (maybe, they aren't promising).
(and boo to SmartHome for continuing to ship the defective dimmers when they
have supposedly fixed the problem in the newer ToggleLincs but not the older
Decora or KeypadLinc dimmers).

I would wait until then if you plan on doing anything with Insteon.