Re: Intel backs Z-Wave

news:444f4adf.11926015@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Lewis Gardner <lgardner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Interesting article at The Register:
>>
>>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/04/25/intel_zwave_battle/
>>
>>It might be old news to some here but I haven't been keeping up on the
>>Z-Wave/ZigBee front.
>
> They've been been flogging that dead horse for some time now. I suspect
> they've manufactured more press releases than they have chips. The most
> pertinent statement in the article is in the third last paragraph...

One wonders where Mr. Houston gets his information that Intel's comitment to
ZWave is a "dead horse".  Does he have inside information from Intel to
which no one else in the industry has access?

> Posts here have been almost 100% from Z-Wave dealers
> with next to none from end users.

Actually, there are only two Z-Wave dealers who post here.  I'm not one of
them though I might add the products in the future.  Most of the Z-Wave
related posts have been questions from the public and comments from folks
selling competing technologies.

> As best I can tell from the torrent of press releases,
> Intel is supporting it in some new chips which are
> NOT directed at the PC market but to set-top boxes,
> entertainment centers, etc.

Earlier comments from Intel indicated they intend to make new PC
microprocessors which will include Z-Wave support.  They make chips for lots
of other things which can benefit from a wireless protocol like Z-Wave.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics