Re: Security System

>> Robert has frequently suggested using CAT5 for keypad runs,
>> but there isn't a manufacturer out there that recommends it.
>>
> I am surprised that I won't need to run something for power for the
> touch screens.  Do they just get the power they need from the CAT5 or
> 22/4?

The gentleman is patently wrong about CAT5 wiring.  I didn't see
the entire post because I filter some individuals, but if that
came from Frank Olson, be aware that he would try to argue with
me over whether the sun is shining.  :^)

We are discussing the ELK M1 series automation controllers.  The
following is quoted directly from page 7 of the manufacturer's
instructions:

"NOTE: If you want to home run more than 2 cables, run 6 or 8
conductor cable so that the data lines A & B can have a return
path to series connect back out to the next device. This is best
done with a ELK-M1DBH Data Bus Hub which accepts CAT5 or CAT6
cable with RJ45 plugs. For more information see diagram in keypad
instructions."

Further discussion of key bus wiring on page 8 follows:

"Keypad Mounting and Wiring ...
...CAT5 or CAT6 eight (8) conductor cable is recommended for all
Data Bus cables. The extra wires provide data return paths.
Splice the Black, Red, White, and Green wires from the removable
wiring plug to the Data Bus cable. Plug the connector into the
back of the keypad. Tuck wires neatly into back plate and install
Keypad on mounting plate. Each keypad has connections for an
optional programmable output and a programmable zone input."

Please note that the ELK M1KP is not actually a "touch screen"
but a keypad with an LCD display window.  There are touch screens
on the market which can be integrated with the ELK system.  If
these are of interest, check the following:

Crestron:
http://www.crestron.com/features/touchpanels/
Cinemar:
http://www.cinemaronline.com/

Also, if you opt to integrate ELK with CQC software, I believe
Charmed Quark has information on compatible touch screens.

ELK Products has a list of partner manufacturers whose products
are designed to integrate with the ELK M1 Gold. ere's a link:
http://www.elkproducts.com/products/m1/m1partners.htm

Hope this helps.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large
groups.