Security System

I'm starting to understand this stuff now.  I am having a house built
now, and it comes with a security system.  The controller is a DSC
model (not sure exactly which one), and I am pretty sure that there
will be some other "black box" in a closet somewhere--not really sure
what it does (I've seen them in other people's houses--what DO they
do??).  So, if I go out and buy, say, an Elk M1, will I be able to
control my security system with it?  Would it just replace the
controllers, or would I have some work to do in the black box as well?

Skip