Re: biometric locksets -- experience?

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 09:17:58 -0500, "E. Lee Dickinson"
<lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>"Robert L Bass" <sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> OTOH, most residences are so easy to break in without
>> compromising the lock that a dual technology lock is probably
>> overkill.
>
>This has been a driving factor for me in designing my security system. For
>the longest time, I wasn't going to get electric strike plates, as I've
>always insisted on deadbolts. Electric deadbolts bring up the problem of
>"fail safe" vs. "fail secure."
>
>People have also advised me against using RFID and other wireless
>technologies to disarm and unlock.
>
>I finally decided, anything more difficult to defeat than "rock through
>window" isn't worth worrying about. A guy with an RFID sniffer is going to
>get into my house a lot less often than a guy with a rock.  Best I can hope
>to do is provide barriers to the casual thief, and hope to ensure the alarm
>goes off on an unauthorized entry.

Yes... but the topic was biometric locksets.   The promise of not
having to carry a key or worrying about losing a passcard.  The
promise that the person being buzzed in is exactly and uniquely the
person who has been authorized to pass.

Personally,  I like the reliability of numeric coded keypads.  They
are biometric in the sense that the combination is "stored" in the
users brain.  Of course, the downside is that anyone else can get in
if they somehow discover the code.

Beachcomber.