Re: biometric locksets -- experience?

> Pardon if too far off the newsgroup focus, but I
> thought folks here might be most likely to have
> experience with these items.

Your post is not off topic.  Biometric locks and access controls
are part of automation in general and are an occasional component
of home automation systems.

> ...fingerprint reading locksets and deadbolts.
> Anyone have any experience with these?  I'm
> wondering how good their discrimination is...

Fingerprint locks on the whole are not 100% reliable.  If you
want to be more certain that only an authorized person is able to
operate the lock, consider one that combines biometrics with a
code pad in a logical AND mode.  Note that the Smarthome model is
dual tech but in a logical OR mode, which makes it weaker -- not
stronger.

OTOH, most residences are so easy to break in without
compromising the lock that a dual technology lock is probably
overkill.

> -- do they always read a valid fingerprint and
> always reject an invalid one?

No and no.  Even the fingerprint readers we sell to military
customers are not absolutely reliable.  They are better than most
keyed locks and better than simple code locks but anything really
critical still requires manned supervision.  Reasonably secure
fingerprint readers cost over $500 without a lock.  Anything of
the sort that you can buy for $180 is almost certainly a toy.

> Finally, how about the locksets and deadbolts themselves?
> Are they good quality hardware?

I haven't examined the Smarthome model directly but my nephew
bought one that looked identical to it on eBay.  It was pretty
flimsy.  He tried it on his college dorm room and tossed it after
one semester.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large
groups.