Re: Security System

> Thanks for the info.  It appears that systems like the ELK M1
> incorporate both an alarm system as well as control capabilities for HA
> control.  I have also been looking at packages like HAL 2000 which have
> extensive HA control capabilities, and can interface to systems like
> the ELK for the alarm system functions.  There would seem to be a large
> overlap in the HA functions and I am wondering if the added
> capabilities are really worth the extra expense.  Another factor I am
> considering is reliability, (rebooting).  Functions implemented on the
> ELK system would not be subject to problems caused by short term power
> outages, due to the battery backup.  Packages running on a PC would.
> Any comments/thoughts on these factors would also be appreciated.

I agree that a dedicated box like ELK is often going to be more
reliable than a PC / software based solution.  I have not worked
with HAL though.  There are several other folks participating in
CHA who have extensive knowledge of HAL.  They would be better
able to answer questions related to the product.

There definitely is some overlap though.  ELK can do a fairly
thorough job controlling HVAC, lighting, irrigation and so forth.
CQC is another HA app worth considering.  The author, Dean
Roddey, is a regular in CHA.  I get the impression he's a
straight up guy.

Homeseer has been going through some growing pains lately but
it's still worth serious consideration.  The HS folks don't
participate in USENET anymore due to the vitriol you've probably
noticed from time to time but they are a decent outfit.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large
groups.