Re: Mini-ITX PC's a the future of HA (was Re: X-10 Mister House Motion sensor problems)

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 05:25:05 GMT, "Dean Roddey" <droddey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message  <R4Njg.147689$F_3.6635@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>If you are going to use an Elk or Omni, then the standard scenario is to
>connect everything (that you can) to the Elk or Omni and use CQC for the
>high level stuff (touch panels, TTS, controlling and coordinating devices
>that the Elk cannot, weather data feeds, media management, etc...) It's a
>very common arrangement with our customers.

Exactly. This was the architecture that ABIK was introduced with
CyberHouse-Stargate ca 1997.

Has anyone else also noticed that this means that you can simultaneously use
more than one HA application on more than one PC and more than one operating
system ?

CyberHouse, Homeseer CQ and MSMCE can play very nicely together each doing
what it does best. I've half a mind (no comments please) to add a linux box
with an open-source HA app.

Key here is to separate (at least some) of the hardware from the CPU's so
that the hardware can be shared over the network. This adds real redundancy
and smarts IME. (Dean will correct me, but CQ has some remote management
advantages over other HA apps that are best/require that hardware be
associated with the CPU running CQ.)

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.EControl.org