Re: Mini-ITX PC's a the future of HA (was Re: X-10 Mister House Motion sensor problems)

"Robert L Bass" <robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> HomeSeer *could* have looked at the Elks and Omnis of the world and
>> created
>> a panel that handled not only security, but lots of routine automation
>> tasks
>> as well.  After all, if panels are better suited to security because they
>> are more reliable, then wouldn't that same sort of reliability be good
>> for
>> home automtion too?  HS, then, would seem to be taking an unreliable
>> course.
>> But we both know that's not the case.
>
> Agreed.  They are a software developer -- not a hardware manufacturer.
> They realize, as I'm sure you also do, that there is a market for
> PC-centric, software based automation systems, another market for
> hardware-only systems and yet another for hybrid, PC + dedicated panel HA
> solutions.
>
> HomeSeer was born a software program that interfaced with the Napco Gemini
> P9600 security system.  Rich said at the time that his goal was to develop
> an app that would add features to a panel-based alarm system.  He chose
> the P9600 because it had a reasonably easy to manage (if poorly
> documented) serial interface which allowed 2-way communication and
> control.
>
> This isn't a guess on my part.  We discussed the issues at length at the
> time because I provided HS with hardware and tech support on the Napco
> system.  HS has followed their initial business plan all along, developing
> in-house and 3rd party plug-ins for a number of different panels and
> ancillary systems -- lighting, HVAC, irrigation, etc.  They have offered
> fully loaded HA servers in the past.  I'm sure they'll contimue to test
> the waters with various PC platforms but I doubt they'll come out with a
> hardware panel any time soon.
>
>> What's really happening is that the years of proprietary
>> panel protocols, inability to access networks, inability
>> to interface with home automation and AV gear and
>> lots of other issues have put the mark of death on
>> panels...
>
> As a genre?  If that is what you mean, I disagree.  Some panels will
> certainly fall by the wayside.  Some already have.  Others will contimue
> to evolve and prosper.
>
>> Vendor's panels (let's take Omni because I own their
>> gear) have been steadily "growing" in size and
>> complexity and add-on modules to account for these
>> shortcomings.  I claim it's an unsustainable task in the
>> long run because competitors can enter the market
>> using a mini PC as their foundation HW and have both
>> a cheaper and superior product as a result...
>
> If the system isn't mission critical, that is true.  However, if the job
> includes physical security (access control), electronic security (burglar
> alarm) and/or life safety (fire alarm, medical alert, etc.), there will
> continue to be a growing need for dedicated hardware panels which will
> [...]

            Bass Home Electronics
            4883 Fallcrest Cir
            Sarasota, FL  34233
            Telephone: (941) 925-9747
            Fax: (941) 925-9747

      www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

      www.Home-Automation.us.com

      www.Security-Alarm-Systems.us

      See the BBB report on line before you purchase from this vendor.

      There is a lot more to consider than just a low price when shopping on
the internet. Don't become the next victim.
      SEE THE REPORT BELOW

      http://www.bbbwestflorida.org/commonreport.html?bid=41001663